Saturday, December 03, 2005

Hold the syrup!


In the world of breakfast foods, I am certainly fond of waffles. I like at the very least having a box of frozen waffles in the house. I don't own a waffle iron, and so have never been able to make my own fresh ones, but perhaps someday.

However, I don't eat mine the traditional way, with butter and syrup. I eat mine topped with yogurt.

The delicate sweetness of the waffle mixes with the creamy, fruity, and slightly tart yogurt to create a really tasty combination. Yogurt fills the waffle's nooks in quite well, and after a little bit (provided they haven't been devoured by then!), makes the waffle slightly moist, but not soggy.

I like to vary my yogurt flavors to the waffle flavors at times. If the waffle is whole grain, I tend to stick to creamier varieties like vanilla. On regular and buttermilk varieties, I use whatever flavor I like. And on fruit flavored waffles, like blueberry, for example, I try to use a matching or complementary flavor.

It's also quite a nice way to get calcium, protein, and other vitamins in instead of the empty sugary calories of syrup.

Right, buttermilk waffles with Stonyfield Farm fat free blueberry yogurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home