Monday, April 03, 2006

Individual mushroom gratin




I love mushrooms.

This wasn't always so, as I recall turning up my nose at them as a child. But somewhere along the way, I rediscovered them, and my taste buds fell in love.

One really tasty and simple way to serve them is stuffed. So last night, I stuffed a portabello with a mix of seasoned breadcrumbs, garlic, olive oil and grated parmesan cheese. It's a very basic recipe and heavy on the Italian influence.

I had a bunch of stuffing mix left over as the mushroom was a bit shallow.

So today, having almost a full package of leftover cremini mushrooms in the fridge, and that remaining stuffing mixture, I decided to try and make something with them both. I ultimately decided on a gratin of sorts.

I had about 7 oz of a 10 oz package of mushrooms left over. And so I didn't have enough for two individual gratins, but next time I make this, I'll use a whole package.



Individual Mushroom Gratin (serves 2)

10 oz chopped mushrooms (I used cremini)
1/2 cup grated parmesan (4 oz)
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
olive oil (preferably extra-virgin), to your liking
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (You may omit 1-2 cloves if you want a milder garlic taste; I like this garlicky)
1/4-1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (to your liking)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F

Mix parmesan, garlic, and breadcrumbs. Add about 1 T olive oil. Mix again and set aside.
Prepare two individual ramekins or custard dishes. On the bottom of each, add a little bit of olive oil, followed by about 2 T of breadcrumb mixture. Add a bit of mushrooms to make the first layer. Top these with a bit more oil (a few drops to 1/2 teaspoon per layer, depending on your preference), some more breadcrumb mixture, and some mozzarella cheese. Repeat until both ramekins are full.

Sprinkle a bit of mozzarella on top of each, and bake 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned slightly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home